Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Screen Reading software and A Girl Who Doesn't Know What She Is Doing

You would think that after blogging for four or so years I would know how to work all of the fancy features that Blogger offers You would also think that after being blind since I was three I would know how to operate a computer using screen reading software by now...you would think.
Well, I'm here to tell you that I am a lost cause. Up until recently I had not used any of Blogger's extra features and just spewed out my soul in the hopes of it serving as a sort of therapy. If you read some of my older posts from a few years ago, I don't have titles or even the time stamp set up properly. I guess I can give myself some slack in that department. I have managed to figure out quite a few things just through trial and error-like "following." Do you have any idea how long it took me to figure out how to "follow?" Now that I know though, I am a "following" fiend: it could be considered unhealthy. ;) Anyway, so I think I'm doing pretty good in that department, sort of. I still have not discovered how to post links within the post or pictures, but I'm working on it. Soon enough, adorable fuzzy faces will be staring back at you, but until then, my riveting words will have to do. But I am digressing.
So, we know that the Blogger thing is a work in progress, but what about my inability to operate a screen reading program? For all of you non-blinkies out there (Blinky, a term we used in the competitive sporting world for blind folk), screen readers are programs that blind and visually impaired people use to operate a computer. It talks to us, telling us what we are typing or reading what is on the screen. Hence, screen reading software.
There are a few different types of screen readers out there, but the most common one used with Windows is called Jaws, which is what I used to use. More recently though, I have switched to a Mac and I am now using the accessible feature called Voice Over that Apple designed for their computers. It's actually quite impressive how accessible Apple's products really are. But I am not here to promote Apple. They don't pay me yet. I am here to tell you that I have no idea what I am doing. :)
I have only been working with my Mac, named Marvin, since June of 2010 and it has been interesting teaching myself how to operate it. I've mentioned before that I am not good with electronics and that I prefer living, breathing creatures. See? If I knew how to use the linky thingy, I could have linked to that previous post. But alas, I do not.
The point of this gigantic introductory verbal diarrhea is that I have followers who I can't figure out who they are. That annoys me greatly. Blogger tells me to click on their image and their information will pop up. Yeah, right. Good luck working with images as a blind person using a screen reader. I have eight wonderful Followers, but I have one mystery one. I can't see the pictures to put a face to the name and I can't click on the image to get more info, so I propose that all of my fantastic, loyal and dedicated readers leave me a comment one day so I can click on your name and know who you are. That is, if you want me to know of course. ;)
Either that or if a fellow screen reading software user out there knows how to fix my problem, please let me know.

7 comments:

Dog Foster Mom said...

Okay, hopefully I don't sound like a stalker here, but I was so intrigued by your recent posts that I actually went back to the beginning of your blog and skimmed all the way through. I love reading your posts, especially the ones about Jetta and Glacier. Sorry I can't help with the screen reader question! I'm one of your eight followers though, but you probably already figured that out.

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

You are a long way from, as you put it, "not knowing what you're doing". I think that you're doing a wonderful job at what you're doing! We can "see" what we're doing and still don't know what we're doing!

Congratulations on your blog. It has a lot to teach anyone who is willing to learn. I certainly feel very enlightened and inspired by it. Thank You...

Amber DaWeenie's Mom

Just Jess for now said...

Wow thank you both.
Dog Foster Mom: You don't sound like a stalker :) I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thank you so much for reading.
Amber's Mom: Thank you. That is very encouraging. :)

Jen said...

Jes, this drives me absolutely crazy, not being able to click on followers to see who they are. It still surprises me though how many people follow my blog but never introduced themselves or leave comments, even one just to say hello.

I've never used a mac. Sort of afraid to encase I either get really confused or really want one, but I can't afford one.

Links are a pain at first but after a while you do it with out thinking. I'll put an example of one below and you can see how its done. Just replace the address of my blog, then paws for thought with the website address and name of the link you want to post.

paws for thought

Read through the characters with your curser because they are case sensitive. Hope this makes sense!

Jen said...

Crap, so I can't see if that posted correctly or just as a link.
Email me and I'll explain if it didn't work.

Brooke, Cessna, Canyon & Rogue said...

I just learned yesterday how to post links on my blog and make my captions to photos links - more blind friendly. I would explain it here to you, but I think it would be easier if I just e-mailed you :)

Just Jess for now said...

Thanks you two.
Brooke, I kept your email and hopefully links will start appearing. I'm just amazed I got a picture to work today. I'm pretty sure I did a happy dance when it published successfully. LOL