Thursday, June 24, 2010

Computers confuse me

I know that I've expressed my confusion about computers before, but since they are such a big part of my life, this will be the subject of today's post again. :)
Up until recently I've been using an ancient desk top computer that was purchased for me back in February of 2003. Now to me, This doesn't seem so bad, but apparently in computer years this means that the computer is now a relic. So, since I'm about to enter the working world as a massage therapist, I decided it was time for me to update my technology in order to make things more eeffecient; that meant I got a computer upgrade that included a Mac laptop, an Alva braille display, a gigantic braille embosser of some sort and a portable scanner. It all seemed exciting when it was unwrapped from its packaging, but I really have no idea how to work any of it. I was running the Mac with Windows and the compatible screen reading software until I finished school, but now that I'm finished it's time for me to switch operating systems. This is probably only the second time I've turned my computer on in a week and a half because the daunting task of learning new short cut keys and such things is not my idea of fun. My fiance is totally excited about the Mac and he thinks it's great, but he loves computers and they talk to him-I'm sure of it. Me on the other hand, give me a living, organic being and we get along-even if it's a snake-but ask me to figure out a computer program on y own and that is a different story. Technically I taught myself how to use Windowsand Jaws-the compatible screen reading software-but I think that was easier because my brain was a clean slate waiting to learn new computer stuff. After you use the same commands for 13 some odd years, trying to figure out how to use a new one just boggles my mind. I'll be amazed if I even get this post published by myself-I had to call my fiance into the kitchen about 5 times just to get to the "edit field" for this blog. I guess what frustrates me the most is that when you know one system you can get things done in a timely manner, whereas when you are using something new it takes you 15 minutes to do something that should have taken 2. Regardless, I'm going to have to learn how to use this stinking thing because otherwise there was no point in purchasing a Mac?
Anyway, I think I've complained enough about my lack of computer intuition for long enough. I will try to make the next post more interesting-as long as I can figure out how to get back here. :)
PS: I know there are typing erros, but I haven't figured out to go back and edit the post. I used to just move through with my arrow keys, but if I do that now, it puts me somewhere on the web page.

No comments: