Sunday, October 07, 2012

Pie Time!

It is Thanksgiving in the land of ice and snow. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!
Last year we had a combination Thanksgiving  somewhere between the Canadian and American one, but this year since there are really only three of us left, we're doing things a bit different; a bit smaller scale.
Instead of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and whatever else someone may stuff into oneself on such an occasion, we are skipping all of that.
That's right. We're going straight for dessert!
One of the key staples in my family's Thanksgiving, and I think most everyone else's, is pumpkin pie. I used to hate it as a kid. I think it wasn't sweet enough for my little kid taste buds, but as I've grown older and acquired the taste, nothing can beat a perfectly baked pumpkin pie, topped off by whipped cream. Otherwise known as, in the UK, "squirty cream."
Dessert pies aren't really a popular thing here either. So, it is a treat in more than one way. Not only are we having home made pumpkin pie in celebration of Thanksgiving, but we are also getting dessert pie.
I was thinking about what I am thankful for this year and there are so many things. We've had a good year, with a few hard moments here and there, but it's those hard moments that make you appreciate the good ones even more. It also reminds you of how much loved you are by really supportive family members; even if they are across an ocean.
So what am I thankful for this year?
My family, near and far, furry and not; having the opportunity to be going back to school in a program that I absolutely love; the opportunity to live abroad; the beauty of the city that we live in; coffee (every student is grateful for the stuff); good health; and of course, Mr. K. He and I have had a lot of life changes recently, all good, and I am so thankful that we get to share our lives with one another and enrich each other's lives; at least, I think he enriches my life. Not sure if he feels the same way about me. (Just kidding).
And last but certainly not least, home made pumpkin pie. :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
XOXO

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a super Sunday and enjoy the pumpkin pie.
Best wishes Molly

K9 Katastrophie said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! We love Pumpkin Pie!

Love,
Ruthie