Thursday, November 03, 2011

Very Proud

It's been a while since we've had a   Kyo update, but through my powers of observation, I would say he is still in training and doing well.
Last night while perusing Facebook I discovered that a new photo of Kyo at a Chamber of Commerce meeting had been posted. All I can figure is that he is demonstrating his mad skills as a service dog in training, but as I can't see the photo I can't be one hundred percent sure.
The photo of the Moose at his very special meeting can be found
here.
For those of you who may not know, Kyo is a dog I rescued from the Guelph Humane Society in March of 2009. He came to me morbidly over weight, terrified of traffic and having no house manners. With a lot of patience and some training, Kyo became a well behaved, well adjusted member of society.
Upon our move to SC it became quickly apparent that our move had been too much and that I was not able to provide the stimulation he required as we were living in the middle of nowhere. Kyo was used to getting walked twice a day, participating in obedience training sessions with me throughout the day and just sitting out on the front lawn people watching. We had a huge backyard in SC, but he really needed structure and because of being blind and living in an inaccessible area, I was not able to give him what he needed.
He reverted back to his old habits of destroying things when he was bored and his separation anxiety also returned. He was becoming aggressive towards Glacier when out playing in the backyard and this was effecting mine and Glacier's working relationship. I knew that he was very trainable and a great dog, but that he needed a new environment. So, I started searching for the right home for the Moose, as he was fondly known.
In October of 2010, PAALS said they would take him after Mr. K and I had paid for his hips/elbows to be checked for soundness.
When I was living in SC I tried to volunteer with PAALS as often as possible and would get updates because I was there. Since being away, I haven't heard much, but was really excited to see this photo of him up on the PAALS' facebook page.
All I can say is that I am super proud of him and the people working with him. Kyo was a great dog for me, being the best snuggle bug a person could ask for, and I really hope he can go on to be a fully certified service dog in order to make someone else's life easier. Even if he doesn't make it and he becomes someone's pet, I know he will be well loved and he will thrive. There is no way someone won't fall in love with him: one snuggle session with that 85 LBS dog and you will never want to let go. :)
Good boy, Kyo! We miss you and are proud of you. :)

3 comments:

L^2 said...

Great photo of Kyo! He's sitting and looking right at the camera with his big brown eyes wide open and his ears perked up. He's dressed in a purple service dog vest or cape or jacket - every school seems to call it something different. LOL There's a yellow dog sitting in the background wearing the same color and style of vest, and there appears to be a lot of people standing around the dogs, but only their bodies/legs are visible.

Becky Andrews said...

Wow. What an inspiring story and great news from L2 regarding description!

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Kyo looks so serious in his service vest. Can't tell if he's still training or is working. I blew the picture up and his vest says "service dog"...makes me think he graduated and you just can't see the person with whom he works.

Try emailing them...they should tell you if he graduated or is ready to graduate. Most organizations have vests that say "service dog in training" until they graduate. Kyo's says "service dog".

Let us know...we're all eager to hear.

BrownDog's Human