Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree..."

Is it too early for that? Maybe, but I love Christmas and I will find any excuse to start the Holiday season early. Just the other day, while out working with Glacier, I found myself humming Christmas carols just walking down the street. It's like this primal urge that takes over around this time of year and there is nothing i can do about it.
Mr. K and I are going to be spending Christmas here in Edinburgh, just the two of us. All of our friends are heading home for the Holidays and our families are not able to come to visit this year. We will have just brought Gus and Fiona, our sugar glider joeys, home and Glacier and Roscoe cannot go back to North America without having to stay there for another six months and under go expensive blood tests. So, we will be staying here.
I really don't mind. Sure, it's going to be a bit strange, but it allows us to start our own new traditions. Last year, for example, we started the tradition of wrapping our presents for each other in front of one another and then opening them. It's something that probably only two blind people could get away with. I'm sure this year we'll have a bunch more traditions to add to that list.
The one thing I was concerned about though was that we had left all of our Christmas decorations in North America. I had been slowly collecting Christmas Village parts, stockings and whatever else I could get my hands on. I even had two reindeer tree ornaments wearing a cap and goggles and a swimsuit. Some things I had packed away in a box to be later shipped to us, such as my Tinker Bell stocking and Mr. K's Nightmare Before Christmas stocking, but we are still waiting on the arrival of that box. Worried that we'd be treeless and decorationless, I started searching around and found a five foot, skinny tree for ten pounds on Amazon and it arrived yesterday.
It's not exactly the most handsome Christmas tree out there, but I love it. It's mine and Mr. K's first Christmas tree together and that makes it that much more special. I haven't pulled it out of the box yet, but I examined it and it looks like it might actually be quite full for a ten pound tree. Mr. K knows how much I love Christmas and surprised me with decorations for the tree as well.
I was out at a meeting with the Edinburgh Road Club last night with E, discussing how they could assist us with our triathlon goals. The meeting actually went very well and when I got home Mr. K said he had a surprise for me. He and Tenie had been out buying him a hoodie without a zipper or buttons because he is joining a Judo club and in the process of purchasing the hoodie he managed to find me some tree ornaments. There are white and purple sparkly balls and differently shaped blue, green and purple ornaments. I love them. They refrained from buying garland and lights as both types of decorations could prove fatal for Sugar Gliders. The ornaments are shatter proof to  also ensure Fiona and Gus have a safe Christmas too.
So even though Christmas is just over a month away, I am definitely in the Holiday spirit. We have planned our Christmas get together with Tenie, E, Carmen and a few other friends; our tree has arrived; Holiday cards have been bought; and plans of a Gingerbread house making extravaganza is in the works. What could be better?

2 comments:

Jen said...

You will probably both have a lovely Christmas together. It will be very different but good. The gingerbread house sounds great!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

The Holidays are coming up quickly!
I'm quite excited to see how Brandon "handles" the Christmas Tree :)

Brandon's Raiser