Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Little Things That Count

Do you ever get those moments when someone does something that  makes you pause and say to yourself,
"Wow, that was so nice."?
I had one of those moments the other day and I am still benefitting from it today.
Monday morning I woke up and set about my normal routine: feed dogs, give dogs water, start coffee, take dogs out...Etc, but when I went to fill the coffee pot I realised that I was running incredibly low on coffee grounds. Knowing that Mr. K and I would need to get someone to get us to the grocery store since it is inaccessible from where we live, I mentioned it to him. We threw around the idea that if we didn't get to the grocery store before I ran out, we'd try CVS, a pharmacy across the street that we can actually get to.
Tuesday morning rolled around and I was getting a bit antsy because with each passing day the coffee was getting lower and lower. I am fully aware that this is just coffee I am talking about and that it's not like we ran out of food, but dude, mornings would just not be the same without the deliciousness of coffee. That night we wandered up to a gas station that is just around the corner. It's another of the very few places we can actually access without someone driving us. We both wanted snacks, unhealthy ones I might add, and so asked the woman at the counter to help us find chips and dip. She was very nice and Mr. K informed me she was one of the owners. I guess while I've been gone he's become familiar with the people working at the various locations in this area. We chatted a bit with her and when she asked if there was anything else I asked if she sold coffee. She said yes and I became very excited: if she sold coffee, I would never have to worry about running out again. Then, she asked me what size of cup I wanted. My heart plummeted; they sold it by the cup. I would not be able to brew the nectar of life in the morning. There would be no delicious aroma, no dark liquid filling my favourite Tinkerbell mug, no way to prod my sleepy brain from a state of slumber to wakefulness. What would I do?
I politely declined and explained what I was looking for and that she should not worry about it. I just figured Mr. K and I would try CVS like we had originally planned to. The woman laughed and said,
"a gift from the store to you," and handed us a little packet of coffee; and not just any coffee, Premium Roast Hazel Nut! And right there and then standing  in the Circle K with Glacier lying at my feet and a complete stranger handing me a packet of coffee, , I had a 
"wow that was so nice" moment.
Sure it was a small package and sure it's just coffee, but it's not very often that you see people just giving things away nowadays. Giving me that package was thoughtful in ways that she probably could never imagine. It meant that Mr. K and I didn't have to get to the grocery store Pronto and that meant we didn't have to find someone to run us there. It also meant that my mornings were complete with a good cup of coffee and that the dogs didn't have to deal with me stumbling around in a Zombie-like state, groaning and moaning about a caffeine withdrawal headache. Then  again, perhaps she is acutely  aware of the necessity of a solid cup of coffee in the morning herself and didn't wish that withdrawal headache on her worst enemies. Honestly though, I just think she's a nice person doing a nice thing for someone and it's those 
"wow that was so  nice"
moments  like that that  give me  hope for the human race.

7 comments:

Becky Andrews said...

Yes. I love those moments and as you say - give us so much hope. Hope you have a good day.

Kolchak Puggle said...

That is really nice! It is so rare to find that these days. I find little random acts of kindness can make such a difference to people. (and I hear you n the coffee. I am an evil sea witch without my cuppa Joe!) PS - yes, TB can be a little hard to navigate. If you would like I am happy to give you a guided tour of the site, pointing out all the best pages to visit and giving you links you can click right to those pages. Would that help?

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Honey, you're in the South.

Y'all come back now,
Hawk aka BrownDog and his Human

L^2 said...

Haha... Love this! Sometimes it's the littlest things that make the biggest difference.

Just Jess for now said...

Becky: Thanks. I hope you have a good day as well.
Kole: Evil Sea Witch? LOL That is a good way of putting it.
Brown Dog and his Human: I know, but even in the South general niceness seems to be missing. Sometimes there are the sweetest people and then there are people who run in the opposite direction because they fear blind is contagious. LOL
L^2 Yeppers. Just like your cute little turtle cupcakes. :) *hug*

Jen said...

AW! how nice! Things like that put you in a great mood for the rest of the day.
ps, that type of coffee sounds amazing!

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

I am very sorry to hear that southern hospitality doesn't always extend to my blind friends.

The sweet lady that gave you the coffee was what my south is like.

However, we live on the water and, although our neighborhood is populated by local born people, many neighboring areas are not. People came here to retire from the north.

I can tell the locals, 'cause they are almost never rude, never in a hurry and always ready to help.

Many Yankees have made enemies of locals by being rude or demanding changes in the way things have been forever. Local people are used to doing for themselves. They really don't want things "citified". The attitude toward the Yankees is "if you don't like things the way they are, why did you move here?"

Y'all come by now,
BrownDog's Human