Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting To Know Glacier: Fifteen Fun Facts

Since I am probably going to be bombarding you with Pet Finder/rescue posts today, I thought I'd write a quick, easy to read post about Glacier.

Fifteen Fun Facts About Glacier

1. I had no intention of letting Glacier on the furniture, but just two months after bringing him home I ended up in the hospital with a bladder infection. I was worried about our bonding, so the nurses said he could sleep on my bed. To this day, he is a great snuggle partner, but he asks to come up on the bed by placing his chin on the edge and staring intently at me. At least he has manners right? :)
2. Glacier hates swimming. A Labrador who hates water? ! Actually, Jetta hated it too until she retired. Maybe Glacier will change his mind when e is done working as well. He'll splash up to his belly, but he is not going any further.
3. He rarely ever barks and I am not sure I have actually heard his full bark. He does like to talk though. If we are out somewhere and he thinks it is time to get moving he will sit up and make he most pathetic sounding whine I have ever heard. He also makes this noise when waiting for the bus and he thinks it is taking too long. Apparently he was never taught that patience is a virtue. :)
4. Glacier's harness handle is only 14 inches long, whereas, Jetta's was 18. He's a fairly tall guy.
5. Glacier had to go to the emergency vet's just one and a half months after I brought him home because some horrible person left a bag of chicken bones in the dog park and he ingested them without me knowing. I learned from that lesson that blind people should not attend dog parks by themselves.
6. When we were in training at Leader Dogs for the Blind, Glacier's favourite game was "chase the Nylabone." Of course I wouldn't throw it, but rather would slide it across the slippery floor for him to chase. We did this game on an extended leash as our dogs were to be on leash at all times. Sometimes I got over zealous and accidentally slid the Nylabone way too far and Glacier ended up giving himself a collar correction. Woops.
7. Remember Glacier's "oral fixation" I posted about a few days ago? Well, if someone comes to the door, Glacier is very excited to see them. So, he will grab whatever is closest to him and carry it around proudly; showing the new visitor his prize. It can be anything from a Nylabone to my shoe. He never chews the shoe, just carries it around.
8. Glacier and I almost stayed an extra week at Leader Dogs for the Blind because we were having street crossing problems, but we got them worked out and we left after just 21 days of training. He liked to take me to the opposite street corner, which is dangerous, but we got it all worked out.
9. Glacier likes to chase strange things. We were out for  walk on a trail once and I was so proud of his guiding. He was ignoring birds that fluttered in front of him and chipmunks that scurried across his path, but a hopping frog was just too much for him. When that little green guy came a hopping, Glacier started hopping after him. We did some obedience to refocus him of course, but I had to laugh after.
10. Glacier likes licking lotion off of my legs. I think this is actually something that quite a few dogs like to do, but it's a problem when you are a massage therapist and your dog wanders over and starts licking the massage lotion off of your client's arm. Thankfully, it was one of my friends and, after I told Glacier to return to his spot, we both had a good laugh. It was a good thing to know though and I always keep that in mind when I am working on someone.
11. Glacier and I are both very fast walkers: Jetta was as well. Quite often I will have friends/family members tell me to slow down because I have rocketed off somewhere on them. I guess as a blind person-at least this is how it is for me-I am just walking to get to my destination. The faster we get there, the less likely it is that we'll make weird mistakes and get lost. Plus, I like to exercise and it feels good  to just move. If you are a fast driver you'll know what I am saying. It's sort of the same thing.
12. The first winter I had Glacier I had to buy him a winter coat because it was so cold that when we were waiting for the bus to go to school, he was shivering. Thank you Canadian winters. :)
13. When I first got Glacier he weighed 68 pounds. He now weighs 73, but is very healthy and muscley. :)
14. Glacier was the biggest dog in our class of 22 dogs. Mr. K always said that a dog of Glacier's height would be better for him, but Glacier and Mr. K's personalities would not have worked together. :)
15. Glacier loves going on trips. Car/bus/train rides, even airplanes. He just likes going places.
And now you a bit more about Glacier.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Those were great!!
OJ always carries stuff around in his mouth when people come. He will actually take his time and try and pick two bones up in his mouth, rather than run straight to the door. Funny boy!
Maybe you could do 15 facts about Rosco when its his birthday too?

3 doxies said...

Oh me, if Glacier wasn't a guide dog I sure could teach him some things, like barking...hehehe! But hey, I gives him lots of credit furs not likeing da water...yuck!
Oh and I loves me some lotion too...hehehe! And shaving cream.

Puddles
PS: thanks furs my blogaversary wishes!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

This was a wonderful post. I really enjoyed every word. I got tickled.. hehehe over the licking of lotions.. I do that to my mom too. Thank you for letting us get to know Glacier better.

L^2 said...

I find it really hilarious that you, a swimmer, keep ending up with dogs that don't like swimming! LOL I don't know if Jack likes it or not (we haven't had swimming weather yet), but Willow absolutely loved it.

Oskar said...

What great things. I don't like the water either!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Donna and the Dogs said...

I found your blog through the Dog Foster Mom's blog, and I am glad I stopped by today and learned all about Glacier! Looking forward to reading other blogs of yours and will be adding you to my blogroll. Nice to meet you and Glacier!

Scooter said...

Hey Jess!
Wow, I loved this post. You and Glacier are a perfect match and I'm sure he's a great helper. Maybe he just needs some more time to get into the water action...it's too much fun for him to miss out on. I gotta admit, I like lotion too! Thanks for the great post.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Just Jess for now said...

Jen: O.J sounds like a neat guy. That is a great idea for Roscoe's birthday. I will remember to do that. :)

Puddles: You are more than welcome. You like shaving cream? That's a new one...but then again maybe that is why Aria keeps trying to hop in the bath tub with me. :)
Franky: Thank you for reading. I always thought it was because I used fruity smelling lotions, but he even likes the scentless massage lotion. I'm glad you stopped by.
L^2 Oh, Willow. :) Isn't it ironic? Maybe Glacier will like it eventually. I need a swimming buddy! You'll have to let us know what Jack thinks of the beach once it's beach time.
Oscar: Thanks for reading. We've missed you.
Donna and the Dogs: I am so happy you found us. Dog Foster Mom is so sweet for putting us up on her blog.
Sarge: Maybe you can teach him? :)
Lotion seems to be a popular thing for sure. Thanks to all of you for coming along on this little walk down memory lane with me. :)

Becky Andrews said...

Love your 'quote' at the top of your blog.

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Thanks so much fur posting, those are great fun facts, it's always fun learning more about Glacier!

Rudy's Raiser