Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream!

Today was my first day of a double workout. All things considered, it wasn't all that bad. I started this morning with a core workout that lasted about 40 minutes and then biked tonight for 45 minutes. The bike was a bit more challenging because my coach gave me sets to do in the middle of the ride. They were hard! Exercise is a funny thing especially when you are training for a competitive sport. You work hard and just when things just start to feel sort of easy, your coach hands you something else that challenges you even more than before. I look back now the first ride I did and realise how easy it was, but I guess it's all relative. A easoned triathlete would look at what I am doing and think it was a warm-up. While I, on the other hand, get off the bike and have my quads quiver under the strain of just walking my tired ass to the shower. :)
After all of that, I guess I'll get to my point. After having two workouts today I found myself craving simple sugars-chocolate, ice cream, gummy bears Etc-even though I'd consumed pasta and meat sauce for supper and had some almonds and watered down Gatoraid after the bike ride. I tired to tell myself that ice cream is not a part of the necessary food groups, but my sugar hungry cells would not signalling my brain. So, finally I broke down and went on a hunt through my fridge to see what would satisfy my craving.
To my great excitement, there was one Drumstick left in the freezer. It sounds crazy now that I'm writing it down, but that first bite was heavenly. The mixing of the nuts and soft vanilla ice cream made every sweat droplet worth it. All I could think while I was eating it was that there were probably a lot of crap in that thing that my body did not need, but those thoughts were drowned out by the chorus my tongue and brain were singing. :)
I suppose the moral is, sometimes giving into those cravings is good for you. Our bodies crave things because we're missing something in my diet. Now that I've eaten the ice cream-chocolate chunks and waffle cone and all-I'm ready for bed and I feel completely content. :)

No comments: