Saturday, September 02, 2006

I'm Back!!!!

Aren't you excited? Well, now calm down. It's not that big of an event. :)
Okay, so I've been gone for a long time. In fact, it's been over a month since I've blogged. I do have an excuse though. I was only supposed to be at camp for two weeks and it turned into five days short of a month. They kept asking me to stay. I was actually supposed to stay until September second, but I had to come back because my family was arriving from all over Canada and I had to write an exam on the 31 of August. Can you believe it? I started the school year with an exam! Oh well, I did it to myself. Anyway, I am getting sidetracked. Camp was an amazing experience and I am not sure I can fill in an entire month of activity on this blog, but just know that I loved it and would go back in an instant. There were "blind" politics of course (yes, it is a "blind camp"), but I just stayed outof it as best I could. I just kept reminding myself that I was there for the campers, not to save the world and teach people about blindness.
After many campfires, swims in the lake, paddleboat and canoe trips, tubing rides and dances, I have returned to civilisation.
I am now back in my university city. I went home for six days and then made the long drive out here with my parents, cats and Jetta. I've been here since Wednesday and we've busied ourselves with cleaning up the place and purchasing things that are needed. Today, we're going to the pet store to buy dog and cat supplies and Ashley is purchasing some cat supplies because *deep breath* she is getting a new kitten! Well, her and Chris are getting the new kitten. He's orange with a white belly. I am very excited, but probably not as excited as they are. :)
Speaking of cats, I must tell you of the drama that happened last night. My cats eat twice a day. Once in the morning and a little bit around 10 at night. Mom, Dad, Jetta and I had returned from going out for dessert with Ashley and Medley and I decided to feed the cats. Earlier in the week, I had thought that the food had smelled funny, but thought nothing of it. I just figured it was just smelly cat food. Last night I scooped the food out and thought it felt too heavy. *sidenote: this food had been sealed up and left here when I had gone home at the beginning of the summer*. I stuck my fingers in the scoop to see how much food I had taken out and my fingers struck something hard and furry. I dropped the scoop back into the bag and called for my mom-I am very proud of myself, I wasn't even hysterical. I said, "Mom, I think there's a dead mouse in the cats' food." She didnt' believe me at first, but upon closer inspection of the bag under the light, we discovered that the food was discoloured and that there was indeed a petrified mouse corpse in the bag. Well, I ran as fast as I could to the bathroom and doused my hands in anti-bacterial soap over and over again. We disposed of the bag of food and fed them other stuff, but I worry that I poisoned them by feeding them that food for a couple of days. My only solace is that Loki has killed and eaten mice in this house before and he wasn't sick then. I've counted, and that was the fourth mouse we've discovered had taken up residence in this house. Now, the house is 157 years old, but come on now! The mice can go. I will be contacting our land lords and demanding this problem is rectified. I do not want anymore surprises!
So, that is my story, and I'm sticking to it. I must go eat lunch now.

PS: Thanks to everyone who had left "happy birthday" wishes. That was really cool to see when I got back.