Sunday, April 30, 2006

Word Varifications and Spammers

If anyone has left me a "comment" they will have noticed that I don't have my "word varification image" option tunred on. There is a reason for this. Unfortunately, spammers have noticed as well. I can't turn the word varification image on because it is not compatible with my computer screen reader software-this allows spammers to leave whatever they want. Kind of annoying. Also, if someone has protected themselves against spammers by turning their word varification thingy on, I can't leave them a "comment." I can read what they have said and what others have said, but I can't read the image and thus can't type it in. There has got to be some other way that I can keep spammers out and be able to use my own blog. The only problem is, I am completely and utterly helpless when it comes to computers. I hate them, they hate me...it's a great relationship. :) And for those of you with word varification turned on, I may have visited you, I just couldn't say anything! lol Anyway, if anyone has any brilliant ideas, please let me know. And for the spammers, if you even read this, please leave me alone! lol

4 comments:

L^2 said...

Hey Jess,
For a while now I have been using the "Comment Moderation" feature instead of "word verification" for comments on my blog, because it's difficult for me to see/read all the funny-shaped letters in the pictures for Word Verification - I usually have to type the letters I see into the thing 4 or 5 times before I somehow get it right.
Comment Moderation allows people to make comments on your posts, but Blogger saves them to a place where you have to the view (moderate) them first and tell blogger which ones are okay to post to the blog. Since you have to approve each comment before it gets published, the comments don't appear immediately on your blog. However, this way you can "reject" and delete spam before it ever shows up on your actual blog.
Sometimes I'm kinda slow at approving comments (because you have to go to the comment moderation page in your account to check for new comments), but so far this process has worked the best for me to keep the spam off my blog. Hope this helps, and if you need me to explain how to set it up, I can try - Just let me know. :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Jess - there are a few options, yes verification is annoying but I've even seen moderation... I'd use something just because there are too many spammers and bots in this world who will attack you... Good luck with your choice - I use haloscan and you get everyone's email without having it given out... I'm very happy with it too. I'll add you to my canada links too.. :)

Just Jess for now said...

Hi Laura, Thanks. I noticed that on yours. Maybe that will work.
Expat Traveler: I liked your set up too, but I think it's too complicated for me. lol My computer skills are awful. :) Thanks for stopping by and adding me too.

Anonymous said...

I like this site! Thanks for admin!
- walkingbarefootinthesand.blogspot.com n
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma