Tuesday, October 16, 2012

She's Still Got It: Jetta the Jitter Bug

It's been just over four years since Jetta my first guide dog retired. She basically retired herself in typical Jetta fashion and moved into a squishy retirement with my parents. I can't believe she's going to be twelve this December.
When I called home the other day Mom and I got to talking and just as we were about to get off the phone she said, "Oh, I almost forgot."
She proceeded to tell me that my dad, being the goofy guy he is, had decided to wrap two "thank you" gifts my parents had bought for family members in Christmas wrap. He finished off the roll and stood chatting to my mom in the kitchen just holding on to the roll; presumably to put it in the recycling. Suddenly, the roll started bouncing around in his hand and he looked down to see Jetta pulling the tube out of his hand. He let her have it and off she went to shred it into little bits in the living room.
This story had me in stitches as it is definitely something Jetta would do. Actually, it really had me laughing because it used to be one of mine and Jetta's Christmas traditions for me to (pretend) attack her with the empty tubes (lightly) whacking her on the head and poking her in the butt; kind of like we were jousting. Well, I guess I was jousting, she was just trying to eat the thing. Not necessarily "by the books" guide dog/handler behavior, but I guess you learn what you can do with your dogs and what you can't. It's good to know that the old girl still remembers and that she's still got her characteristic spunk despite being a senior citizen.
Oh, Jetta. :)

1 comment:

L^2 said...

Haha! Very glad to hear Jetta is still full of spunk! :-)