Saturday, September 22, 2012

Welcome Flick

We got the news today that our first foster Greyhound will be coming to live with us by the week's end. If you haven't already guessed by the title of this post, her name is Flick. She is a young, small, Brindle girl who had previously lived in her trainer's home. So, she should be house trained. Most X-racers never get home comforts or even see the inside of homes. So, the fact that she lived in home is slightly amazing and a bonus for us with regards to house training.
Apparently, she's sweet, bouncy and loving. They don't know much more about her because, as the foster co-ordinator said on the phone, it's up to the fosterers to tell them more about the dog  in order to get the Hounds re-homed.
Flick was small dog tested earlier this week and was non-reactive to three or four small, bouncing dogs. She did react to cats though, so I either have to stay away from them completely or try to teach her that cats are friends, not food. I don't know anyone with cats and I'm not sure strangers will allow me to use their cats as training tools. So, Flick may stay a "non-cat" kind of girl. However, I do know a few flats that have cats hanging around outside . That means, Flick and I may be going for a walk past those flats, muzzle on and a pocket full of cookies.
To be honest, I had thought that we basically weren't going to be able to foster because of Hermione being classified as a "small fuzzy" and the nature of Greyhounds to chase "small fuzzies," but the sanctuary really worked hard to find us a dog to foster. I really want to give this little girl a good chance of finding her forever home. So, I am going to do everything I can to help her learn all about the world of being a pet as opposed to a racing, working dog. With all of our crazy adventures in our life/home, I am hoping to be able to teach her to be a well rounded girl who will fit into nearly any good home.
Since that is all the sanctuary was able to tell me about Flick, I'll leave it at that for now, but will definitely fill you in once she has arrived. I have other exciting news, but I'll tell you about him tomorrow. ;)

3 comments:

Finn said...

Can't wait to hear more about Flick!

The Ladies of Beaglebratz Manor said...

From the mom - I don't know much at all about the greyhound being used for racing but the fact remains that she is a Hound. The drive she has for kitties - applies to ANY small critter that moves, at any pace such as rabbits and squirrels or anything like that. There are a few blogs around in case you want info from that source - one that I know of is Winnie's Dog Blog at
http://winniethegreyhound.blogspot.com/
I wish you good luck with Flick - fostering is something I would love doing but what with working full-time, I feel that the time rite now is just not rite.
Kim

The Websters said...

Good luck! We love fostering!