Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Reading Fiend

I would have to say that most of my symptoms have cleared up. I'm a still a bit stuffy and a little weaker than I'd like, but I'm definitely on the mend. The thing  about being sick though was that I needed something for my brain to do. If I was lying absolutely still, minus the one day I spent sleeping, I felt all right and couldn't turn my brain off. I wanted to be doing things, going places, seeing people...you get the point. I'm a "doer" and don't stay still well, even if I feel like death warmed up. A solution to my problem was a good book.
Books, especially audible books, that are read for pleasure don't take much energy. If it is a good book, then I am invested enough to forget that I have to lie still and heal. I have always loved books and I think it stems from a teacher I had when I was a  kid. She taught me how to read braille and my treat for doing well on homework/tests was that she would read to me. Personally, I love books in braille and I think it is a very important skill for all blind people to learn, but that can be discussed elsewhere. Getting a hold of braille books though is a bit more difficult than going to a Chapters or Amazon online and picking out whatever you want. So, the next best thing is an audible book. The only problem with audible books is that a bad narrator could turn a perfectly good  book into a cheesy piece of junk.
Luckily for me, Mr. K managed to find The Wheel of Time series in audible format, read by two great narrators for me. I have just started reading the first book about two days ago and am already more than half way through it. The book is incredibly well written and the characters are very well developed. If you are a fan of the Fantasy genre, I would say that this series is a must read.
In fact, I had heard that for a long time, but had refused to join the band wagon. I was sort of the same way when Harry Potter came out. A lot of the times, if a book/movie or anything like that is trendy, it is usually not very good. Okay, maybe not most of the time, but I think some times.
I finally buckled with Harry Potter and fell in love and the same has happened with Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time." I can't put the stinking thing down and the best part is that there are twelve more books to read after this one.
So, even though it's not in my preferred format, braille, The Wheel of Time series is a hit so far and is a recommended read; at least from me it is. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love books as well. I feel like they transport me all over the world and back in time in one afternoon. I visited the Los Angeles Braille Institute and I was quite impressed with their lending library. Do you have something like this nearby? I also agree about narrators. I've listened to a few books that were very badly read.

K-Koira said...

Lol, I do the same thing with all the "bandwagon" books. I refused to read Harry Potter for about eight years. When I finally gave in and read them, I read the whole series in a matter of about two weeks.

Wheel of time is an awesome, epic series. Probably one of my favorites. However, it is a lot harder to read the series all the way through. Each book is so long, I find that I need to read a different book between every two or three editions of WoT to not get frustrated with the series. That said, I have read every book in the series, and the prequel, at least three times each.

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

So happy to hear you are feeling better! And all it took was a good book!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Jen said...

Jes I prefer reading braille too, and the fact that young children are becoming discouraged from reading it is worrying. I have been listening to audiobooks recently, and when I'm in the mood, and they have a good narrator, i do enjoy them, and they are a lot more relaxing to read than braille!
Glad your feeling better.

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better!
I love reading... but wish I had more time for it!

Brandon's Raiser