Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Walking We Will Go

The outing to Pet Smart or Pupcakes turned into a long walk along the river front instead. I'm not complaining: the weather was nice and it was good to get out and stretch my legs. I'm sure Glacier and Chloe felt the same too.
The path is paved and there were a lot of people out walking, running, biking and just sitting on the benches that face the water. I'm not sure how far we actually walked, but it was a good hour walk. It didn't even feel like it. My friend came with me as I needed to be driven there, and he walked with me. He is not an active guy and I think I nearly killed him. lol I held my pace bak a lot since Glacier and I are normally very fast walkers because I wanted him to enjoy it a bit.
He walked Chloe for me and about a quarter of the way through our route, I had to put her gentle leader on. He couldn't get her to heel and she was pulling his arm off.
Glacier did fantastic. He just followed the path along and weaved in and out of people. He has a left sided tendency like Jetta did, but I've learned not to fight it. He guides better if I let him pick his own path rather than trying to get him to walk down the right hand side. If I heard people coming, I would move him over to the right, but otherwise, I just figured they could see and could go around. I think he wanted to keep going, but my friend was more than done, and if we ever want a walking partner again, I thought we better be nice. :)
When we got home, both yellow dogs crashed out together on the floor and slept for the rest of the night.
PAALS told me that one thing they were working on with Chloe was her fear of men. It's not a full blown fear, but she is a bit nervous and they said she can let out a low growl. I wondered how she would do on the walk, but she was fine. She didn't growl at my friend when he came in and was happy to let him walk her. The UPS delivery person came, who happened to be male, and she didn't growl at him either. We have to turn in "pup reports" at the end of the dog's stay and so I'll be glad to tell them of her lack of growling this weekend. :)
Anyway, I have five dogs needing bathroom breaks. So, off I go. :)

No comments: