Friday, January 31, 2014

Random Guide Dog Thought

In the last 24 hours I've been reading some blogs I haven't read in a while. I've also talked to a few people I knew a long time ago, but sort of fell out of touch with. Many of these people are guide dog handlers and for some reason I found myself feeling surprised when they talked about their dogs retiring and having/getting new ones.
I have a new guide dog. In fact, I had two new ones in a very short time period. A lot of these people got their dogs a few years after I was issued Jetta. So it would make sense that their little workers deserved a retirement. Mine sure did. But, it felt strange thinking of that person without their other dog and having to substitute a new doggie name.
I wonder if that transition is strange for anyone else? I.E., it was no longer "Jess and Jetta," but "Jess and Glacier" and then not much longer after that "Jess and Nala." Or, perhaps, no one else's minds get this bored and think up random crap. :)

2 comments:

Becky Andrews said...

Can sure relate! They are such an integral part of us!

Leye-Shprintse Öberg said...

BS"D
*LOL* No, I don't Think it's a weird thought. Actually, I agree. The owner and dog become one unit. :)