Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Off And Adventuring

It's been a  mere two and a half months since we landed back in the Land of Ice and Snow. And let me tell you, there's been no shortage of snow. We had a couple of falls at the end of October and into the beginning of November that melted off, but it snowed about two weeks ago and has stayed. In fact, we got more last night. As I've mentioned in passing, I've taken up the sport of cross country skiing, or Nordic skiing as it is more officially known in the racing world. I love it and having snow on the ground the last two weeks has made it possible for me to really get out there and attack the sport.
So, what does all of this talk of snow and skiing have to do with "adventuring?" and "landing only two months ago?"
Nala and I are off tomorrow, embarking on a very new adventure-well, it's kind of new to me and very new to her.
We are hopping on a plane at 5:55 AM to be in Toronto and continue our journey out to Calgary Alberta, where we drive a bit further into the lovely Rocky Mountains for a Nordic ski training camp/race.
It wasn't that long ago that I sat at a long table, in a local bar/grill discussing my crazy idea of competitive skiing to a few local key people; one of whom is the vice president of our local cross country ski club. I'm not sure if they believed me, but I told them I was prepared to start training and do everything in my power to become a competitive athlete over the next year. I had assumed that this year would be a lot of logistical work, such as finding guides/coaches/procuring sponsorship Etc. I never imagined that I would be actually included in a training camp, never mind racing. However, something slightly miraculous happened in the last month and a generous sponsor gave me a start, helping me purchase race licenses, ski gear and pay for this camp. I was invited to the camp and I'm technically attending as a member of the Cross Country Ontario contingent. I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm "one of their athletes" as I'm far from being competitive at this point, but being asked to go with them has been a huge confidence boost. Then, it was proposed that I participate in at least one race to make my participation official and so after just eight sessions of being on snow, I'm flying out to Alberta; praying that I can just cross the finish line without falling.
I'm kind of nervous, excited and shocked all at the same time. I don't know how I ever got so lucky. The support I've received from my family, friends and especially Mr. K has made this possible. I am astonished at the man who has volunteered to be my coach and has spent the last week and a half teaching me how to ski. Knowing just how amazing people have been to me and how lucky I am to have this opportunity so early on in my potential ski career, makes me want to work that much harder. I just plan on going out there and attacking everything they throw at me with gusto. I kind of feel like this is my second chance after I retired from swimming and I will not throw it away. The temperatures may be hovering around minus 20 C, but I am so looking forward to this challenge and learning as much as I can while enjoying some frigid, fresh mountain air.
See you in Alberta. :)

2 comments:

pattib said...

Go get em! We finally got four inches of snow here in northeastern Michigan. Guess what I did?? Yep, took a 5K ski out my back door. I thought of you!

Steph, Dean and Tac said...

Love your blog :) Now a new follower :)