Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All Quiet on the Halloween Front

Happy Halloween all!
It's that time of year again when little ghosties and witches roam the streets, knocking on doors and shouting:
"trick or treat!"
I've always loved Halloween and still do, but this year Halloween is going to be a fairly low key event at the Mr. and Mrs. K homestead.
To be honest, Halloween sort of snuck up on me this year. Usually I've thought of my costume months in advanced, but with my MSc program starting mid September, my brain has been mostly filled with research methods, coping/stress/control and so much more. Sometimes I feel like I hardly have time for my poor puppy dogs, or even for poor Mr. K, for that matter. I also have been focusing on Christmas since my parents are coming to visit and that will be the first time I've seen them in over a year and a half.
I have always enjoyed getting my dogs dressed up too. Some would disagree with that, and that is fine, but I don't have kids and never will. Thus, I need someone to dress up.
Jetta probably got the brunt of it with her having to be a ballerina princess (she ate the crown and peed on the shoes), my evil minion (she wore huge, black bat wings and I was a vampire), a Lost Boy (I was Tinkerbell of course) and a  wizard (her friend Cessna from Ruled by Paws got to share in that joy that year as we made their costumes for them). We really wanted to make them "My Little Ponies" that year, but couldn't quite figure that one out. So, wizards it was.
Glacier was a bit luckier with only having to be the donkey from Winnie the Poo twice. Aria was a lobster and Kyo was an athlete.
This year Hermione, Otis and Roscoe have managed to side step the costumes. We really don't have anywhere to go with them dressed up and so what's really the point? However, I think Otis would have made the cutest pumpkin with his gigantic puppy belly and squat little French Bulldog stature. Hermione most certainly would have had to be a princess because, well, she is a princess. And Roscoe? He probably wouldn't have tolerated it so well. So, perhaps a Halloween themed bandanna would have done for him. That is, of course, if we were actually dressing them up.
Halloween doesn't seem to be quite as a big deal here as in North America and so perhaps that is part of how it snuck up on me.
That's not to say we haven't done, or won't do, a few Halloweenish things.
First of all, I had a "ghost" cookie at the cafe this morning after I spent an hour and a half with my class instructor going over inferential statistics for my exam tomorrow. The cookie was quite cleverly made and was quite tasty.
Everyone needs a 3D ghost cookie after that much Stats.
Mr. K and I are also going to carve a pumpkin tonight. We've always carved pumpkins together; last year being the exception. One year he carved a scene from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" into the pumpkin. Quite impressive if you ask me. So there's a bit of our Halloween tradition. We can't do much tonight anyway with me having to write this crazy exam tomorrow.
 Originally, I had asked people over for a pumpkin carving party last night, but since my idea was last minute, no one was able to come. Again, probably for the better: it gave me more time to study.
So that is about it. It's going to be a quiet Halloween this year, but that's okay. There's always next year.

1 comment:

Brooke, Cessna, Canyon & Rogue said...

I think Rogue wishes she lived with you guys because I made her dress up as a lion lol! The costume was adorable! Cessna was a monarch butterfly and because she's black already, only had to wear the wings so was quite okay with that. Canyon wore a wolf themed hat, but it really didn't stay on his head overly well so no one really knew what he was lol!