Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Latest Endeavor

It's been a busy couple of days. Roscoe had a great birthday, complete with frozen peanut butter stuffed Kong and a hamburger patty chargrilled just for him. No, we normally do not feed our guide dogs human food. If we give them stuff we eat, then they will think that that stuff is always for them. This could be problematic in a public situation and so, it is a good rule of thumb to keep the human food for the humans.
However, on his birthday we went out for supper-Tenie, Carmen, Mr. K and I-and we told the server it was Roscoe's birthday. I'm not really sure how it came up, but then he was asking if Roscoe and Glacier could have a meat patty. He assured us  it was just meat and no extra sauces. They make their burgers by hand and so we said it was fine, but the boys had to wait until we were finished eating and ready to leave. So, Glacier and Roscoe ate burger off of a plate, in a restaurant! What have I become?!
Anyway, aside from Roscoe's birthday, we celebrated Mr. K's yesterday; I gave someone a massage on Sunday and we had a great Easter dinner as well that day; and much much more. That is why I haven't been here to tell you all about it.
Not only have we been celebrating birthdays and eating burgers, but I've taken on a new fundraising effort for Labrador Retriever Rescue Scotland; the organisation I volunteer with. It's been something I've been thinking about for a while now and the details only fell into place on Saturday. I've been blowing up the LRRS Facebook page with announcements and also the dog trainers' Facebook page I've been invited to be a part of.
So, what exactly is it that I'm doing?
The fundraiser is twofold. First, I will be making fleece tug toys for dogs. The tugs come in a variety of colours and sizes and can come with  or  without tennis balls. I had made a small one for Hermione and when I saw her and Glacier playing tug-of-war with it, I realised just how sturdy it was and that it would be a good item to sell as a fundraiser.
Tug toys are not the only product available for dogs. I am also making gluten/grain free treats. These treats are good for training as well as just a treat and are totally natural. These cookies also come in a variety of flavours.
Of course there are goodies for humans too. Hand made soaps, bath salts and foot soaks are all available for purchase in a variety of fragrances and sizes.
Thus far, the tug toys have been the most popular item, with fourteen orders coming in within the last two days. All of the profits made from the products will go directly to Labrador Retriever Rescue Scotland to assist with medical care of rescued Labradors, food and boarding until they can find their new forever homes and whatever else that is needed. I'm really excited about this project and can't wait to start making all of the items. I just have to wait for my materials to come in now. I've been trying to think of ways to spread the word, as I'd like to raise as much money for LRRS as possible, and so far, Social Media has been a big help. I've also thought of contacting the local pet food store where we buy all of our dog stuff from, to see if they would be willing to sell the tug toys. I think the treats may be a no go in the pet store as there is probably some kind of packaging/labeling requirement. Do you have any suggestions?
Well, with that in mind, I must be off to buy fleece and tennis balls so that I can get started on making my first order. I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. :)

2 comments:

The Websters said...

That's a great idea for a fundraiser!

Also, sounds like a fabulous weekend of celebrations!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Happy Birfday it Both the guys.

Wow... you ate real foods in a restaruant.. from real plates?? Cool Drool.

I think the fundraiser projects sound super duper.