Friday, November 11, 2011

Sick Day

Perhaps there is a flaw in my philosophy. Then again, maybe I'm fighting off a modern version of the plague. I thought that if I took an entire day off of training, then I'd be a lot better today: I was very wrong.
Yesterday I was up for a wapping four hours before I crawled back into bed and stayed there for pretty much for the rest of the   day and night. Mr. K made tacos for supper and I managed to dig myself out from underneath my pile of blankets to eat a good amount of taco meat,  rocket, carrots, cucumbers, cheese and taco shells crumpled all into a bowl, but I promptly fell asleep on the couch while trying to watch reruns of Home Improvement with Mr. K. He woke me up at the end of the first episode and convinced me that I'd be better off back in bed. So, back to burrowing beneath the covers I went. I slept solid until just after midnight and was back in bed by 2 AM.
Mr. K woke me up this morning around 6.30 because he had made me a gigantic fruit smoothie. I thought I was feeling better. That is, until I took Glacier and Roscoe out for their morning relief time. By the time I got the second dog-Roscoe-back into the flat, I had had enough. I had Mr. K download the first book of The Wheel of Time series on to my Iphone and then climbed back into bed. I managed just two chapters of a book that I was really enjoying before I was back asleep. I snoozed for another four hours and only woke up because Carmen texted me to say that she was coming over to pick up the turkey that is being cooked for tomorrow's combination American/Canadian Thanksgiving dinner.
Thankfully, Carmen came baring gifts of de-congestants and pain killers. I have been fighting a fever since yesterday morning and that has made my skin extremely sensitive. It is so bad that just my clothes brushing against it is painful. The pain killers have taken the edge off of my sore skin situation, but my sinuses have taken up the attack.
All I can keep thinking is that I'm wasting valuable training time. I know that is silly because I know there is no way I'd even be able to walk to the gym. Just walking from the couch to the kitchen to retrieve more tea or orange juice is more than I can stand.
Besides my guilt over training, I also feel bad for Mr. G. He's been such a good boy this whole time, curled up on his bed beside me. I also woke up at one point yesterday sandwiched between Roscoe and Glacier. I vaguely remember Roscoe hopping up of his own  accord and so I just invited Glacier. I just needed the comforting warmth and weight of their furry bodies. I slept soundly with my boys squishing me. I know Glacier would rather  be working or out for a run, but he's been patient with his bathroom breaks being his only escape from the flat in the past two days.
Regardless of what my mind wants to do, my body is not cooperating. I may be stranded on this couch tomorrow as well. I really hope I start feeling better, but this feels like just the beginning. That said, if I hav to take the weekend to recover in order to get in consistent and quality workouts for the next two months, I will do it.


pattib said...

Awww Jess, hugs to you and I hope you're feeling better soon. In my experience, I always seemed to get sick a few weeks after starting a heavy training regime. I think my body had to bread down before it got stronger! Don't hurry back into hard workouts, you'll do fine when you're feeling better!

K-Koira said...

Sounds like, even from the other side of the world, you have the same crud I have. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Make sure you are over this and then take it easy your first couple of days back training so you don't relapse. Sounds like you might have the flu. Here in the states they say its hitting early this year and we got our flu shots in September.

Get well soon!

BrownDog's Human