Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Glacier The Pooh and the Blustery Day

Getting our internet could not have come at a better time. Up until now we've had pretty decent weather, minus the tail winds from a hurricane, and so I haven't minded having to venture out to borrow Carmen and Tenie's internet. We've also been waiting for our delivery of groceries and since those came yesterday, I have no reason to leave the warmth of my couch and Glacier won't have to try to guide me along the streets while the wind whips leaves and garbage at us.
When I stepped out to take Glacier and Roscoe to "park" this morning, I vowed to stay indoors. Aside from taking them out to relieve, I will be staying out of the wind's way. It's incredibly windy, with a biting chill and it hasn't decided if it should rain or mist.
Before moving to Edinburgh I was warned about the weather. I knew it rained a lot and that the cold was pretty intense as it was deep and damp. It's no surprise since Scotland is apparently further north than Moscow, but doesn't get snow because of the jet stream that runs through it. That said, the North Sea is not far-about a ten minute walk from our flat-and that body of water lends itself well to cold, wet and windy weather.
Traveling independently around as a blind person can be slightly dangerous when the winds are so strong you can't hear the traffic moving or the high pitched beeping of the audible signal at the cross walks. I think that is part of the reason why I choose to use a guide dog rather than a cane. Canes can't stop you if you step off a curb because you couldn't hear a car coming over the howling wind, but guide dogs can. Canes also are quite light weight, which can be an advantage, but in windy weather, they can be blown out of your hand or all over the place. If your cane is dancing about and you don't have very good control of it, then it is not performing its function of telling you what is in front of you. Guide dogs on the other hand, for the most part, can't be blown off course and when you have a big one like Glacier, you have something solid to hold on to. Glacier's sheer size keeps me from drifting off of the sidewalk or sideways through an intersection when it is crazy windy like it is today.
There have been a few days where the weather almost forced Glacier and I indoors, but "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Also, no one would go anywhere or get anything done if they waited for nice weather in Scotland. So, in reality, I do not have a problem braving hurricane force winds if I need to, but I think today Glacier and I will opt to stay in.

4 comments:

Jen said...

well since Scotland has similar weather to Ireland, you'll need to go out in the wind, or your right, you'd never leave the house.
A newly qualified guide dog owner friend contacted me the other day to ask if she did the wrong thing getting a taxi to her destination because she didn't want to walk the dog in the rain. I think she needs to just start getting used to it. fast!
:)

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Sounds like you can still share something with the US over in Scotland.....The end of our hurricanes!!!

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

So glad all is right with your world.

I don't like temperatures below 50 degrees. I don't know which is worse the wet damp penetrating cold or the dry cutting cold.

Y'all stay warm and dry.

BrownDog's Human

Just Jess for now said...

Jen: She will need to invest in a pair of Wellies and a rain cape for the dog if she's worried about getting wet. LOL They always told us at guide dog school that you do not alter your life for the dog, they are to fit into yours. I suppose if she would have normally taken a cab she didn't do anything wrong, but dogs get used to being spoiled quite quickly and her dog may decide he/she does not want to work in the rain if she keeps doing that. You can assure her that the dog trained in the rain and that its Puppy Walker definitely had to take it out in the rain. :)
Amber's Mom: LOL!!!! So true. :)
Brown Dog's Human: Thanks for stopping by. I have lived in so many different kinds of cold I can't decide which is worse either. I just know that my childhood in Northern Ontario has prepared me for any kind of cold weather. :)