Thursday, July 28, 2011

Three Weeks To Go

It is three weeks from today that we leave for Scotland. We have run into another small, or rather a quite large glitch, in that Tenie's landlord has stated that we can't stay with them while we're trying to find a "flat." He said it was because of the guide dogs and the "flat" being a "no pet" rental unit. I never would have thought that would be a problem. In Canada and the United States, if you are renting and you want your friends or family members over they can come, regardless of them having a service dog. I'm not really certain what the laws are, but I'm going to do some digging because if we can't stay with them, we may not be able to go. Staying in a hotel while trying to find a place to stay would wipe out our savings completely. We have started requesting further information from letting agents on flats to see if we can't have somewhere to move instantly into upon arrival. If it were me, I'd sneak us in and if the landlord showed up for an inspection I would do one of two things:
1. Hide the dogs and I in a bedroom and when they come to investigate I'll scream I'm naked and that I'll charge them with sexual harassment...or
2. Tell them that we are just visiting for the day until we find a place, but staying in a hotel at night.
but that is just me. I have a "stick it to the man" bone in me. It's not as strong as it was when I was in university, but it's still there. If we went with plan B, how could they prove any different? I won't push it with the girls as I know they don't want to lose their lease, but I really don't know what we're going to do. We do still have three weeks and when the ladies return from the Highlands where they are on an archaeological dig-because my friends are that cool-they will start looking for flats for us.
Besides the giant flat problem, things are moving right along. The potential employer I mentioned has confirmed that they received my job application, which I filled out yesterday morning. I'm really hoping something comes of it as it will take a lot of stress off of both of  us. I'll keep digging around for other jobs in the mean time though. I also have an idea for a small business that I am in the process of getting started, but I'll let you know more about it once it's up and running. Mr. K and I had a good chat last night and he is helping me design the website, which means it's going to be awesome!
I do have a question for you wonderful people with regards to the website. What colour schemes do you think are inviting when you visit a site? Pastels, bold and bright...any suggestions? Even though I'm blind I have a strange awareness of colours and which ones should go together, but since I can't see any of the websites I visit, I don't really know what is visually pleasing and welcoming to visitors. Wouldn't that be an interesting study? Set up three websites with identical content, but with different colour schemes and see which ones get the higher volume? Anyway, that's not the point. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Oh I hate rules and regulations, especially when they don't make any sense!

L^2 said...

I'm late in reading, again, so I hope you've already found access laws or something like that for Scotland. I would assume they must have some sort of access laws for guide dog handlers.

As for website colors. In general I don't think it matters all that much - most people just choose whatever they lie. However, if you're going to have large sections of text on the site I highly recommend using black text on a white background or white text on a black background. Either of these combinations are much easier on the eyes and any other colors.

I'm interested to hear about what you've come up with for a business.

Just Jess for now said...

Amber: I know! Or when there's not enough legislation to hold people responsible. Grrrr
L: The accessible part of the site is not ready, so I don't want anyone visiting it yet. Screen readers would go mad-I can't even really use it. Mr. K put it together for me. ;)

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Just catchin' up...color schemes...L is right about light or white with dark type. Keep the sides simple too...not too much pattern as that often distracts. Depending upon your audience...older people prefer plain backgrounds for reading.

BrownDog's Momma