Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Very Busy Weekend

This has been a very busy weekend for both Jetta and I. Friday we were in Guelph and spent the day picking up my new hearing aid and letting Jetta run at a conservation area. But let's start with the hearing aid.
I have had 90 percent hearing loss in my right ear since I was about four or so. I had radiation therapy when I was younger to try to save my eyes and unfortunately a side effect of that treatment was hearing loss. The doctors tried to fit me with a hearing aid as a kid, but I wouldn't wear it. Not because I was worried about what it looked like, but because it made everything sound tinny. I had been so used to hearing a certain way, they couldn't convince me to wear it. Finally, around Christmas time, a friend of mine-Brooke-went and got one and told me about how much it helped her. I figured it might be a good idea since sometimes I fail tohear cars when crossing streets-so I guess it's a safety thing with me. So, Friday I picked mine up. I have been slowly introducing myself to it. It sounds strange and the thing that I have to get used to is my own voice. It's so weird!
After that appointment, Brooke, her husband Huib, my parents and all of the dogs-five in total-went out to a conservation area. It is basically a big long trail that has a fence on the outer edge to keep people and their dogs away from the highway. There were so many dogs running loose it was amazing. At first, I didn't want to take Jetta off of her leash. Regardless of how much work I have done with her and her recall, she still refuses to come back. I know she knows what it is because sometimes she chooses to return, but then others, she just walks-or runs-the other direction. My dad told me that if i let her go, he would chase her if necessary, so I let her go. She was so excited! She ran in crazy circles and went crashing through the under brush. The most amazing part of it all was that she went swimming. Not just a little splash up to her belly, full out swimming. And what's even more amazing is that she went willingly and more than once. I was completely shocked. The best part was that she actually came back when I called her. So, Brooke and I have decided that this seems to be a good place for Jetta to be "free" and that it will have to be something we do often.
Yesterday Christena, Carmen and I went to a friend's wedding. It was one of the most non-traditional traditional weddings I have ever been to. (Jetta stayed at home with my parents because I decided she would enjoy a day with them rather than sitting at a church and a reception hall. They took her for a run at the dog park and a walk later that night to the park behind my house). The couple were married in a church, but instead of the wedding march the bride came down the aisle to Darth Vader's theme music. The whole ceremony had references to Star Wars, Star Trek and BattleStar Galactica. The women carried books instead of bouquets of flowers and the men's handkerchiefs had characters from Super Mario Brothers One. Instead of dancing the guests were encouraged to play video games. We left around 10:30, but decided that since we were all dressed up and the night was still young, we had to go dancing.
We ended up at a night club called The Revolution in our wedding attire and danced the rest of the night away. By the time we got home our feet were killing us and thought mine would never go back to their normal shape. That is what you get for wearing three inch heels for over twelve hours.
My parents left this morning and took Jett with them. I am leaving on Wednesday for a swim competition and decided not to take her with me. I think she'll have a good two week vacation, but I miss her already. Oh well. I think she'll enjoy running around with Flash at home rather than sitting on an airplane or a stuffy pool deck.
So that was my weekend in a nut shell-today will be a day of leisure and getting caught up on laundry and such things.


Steve said...

I've lately turned to sculpting animals.
My profile pic is one of my mice.
If you don't mind (sorry for the intrusion), I'd love it if you could check out my animal bronzes.
If you like them, please show your friends!
I'm trying to get my work seen by a wider audience.
If not, thanks for looking.
There's some 'how it's made' stuff on my blog too,

Brooke & Cessna said...

It sure was amazing to see Jetta enjoying herself so much, who would have thought she could actually be a dog! LOL! We will definitely have to do it again, maybe in a month or so though because I don't like giving Cessna too many baths, her coat just gets so dry and well, do you actually think we could keep her out of the mud and water?

Jess and Jetta said...

Everyone said that Jetta actually looked like a dog with the dirt caked to her butt. It was pretty funny. :)
Sure I'll check out your sculptors, but I'm blind so don't know how much help I'll be. :)