Monday, July 17, 2006

Ride 'em Cow girl?

So, I have finally decided to take horseback riding lessons and had my first one on Saturday afternoon. The weather has been terribly hot and so I made sure to take a long a water bottle for me and Jetta. The barn wasn't actually too bad, temperature wise, and Jetta stayed tied in the tack room while I learned how to tack and sponge bath my horse. Her name is Spicy, she's 28 years old and she's a very small quarter horse-only 14.3 hands high. I'm not sure, but I think that could almost classify her as a pony. It's weird because quarter horses are supposed to be very tall.
I didn't get any riding in because it took a whole hour to learn how to brush, tack and untack Spicy. I also took her outside where there was a bucket full of water and a huge sponge to bathe her with. I think I had a bath myself since the water ran down my arms and on to the rest of me. It was kind of refreshing. My next lesson is next Saturday and I have already purchased a new riding helmet. I don't know much about horses, but my instructor is very friendly and is good at answering my onslaught of questions.
Lindsay and I also went to our local Rotery Fest Friday night and Saturday afternoon and evening. It was fun listening to the bands, getting our hair wrapped, looking at all of the lovely jewellery we could not afford and eating cotton candy. Jetta did not come with us Saturday because it was too hot and the bands were much too loud. She was pretty pissed at me Friday for bringing her along, so she stayed at home in the comfort of our cool house. We also made a point of trying to pet as many dogs as possible. I even got Lindsay up to dance to the last two songs of the last band-they were a tribute band to the Eagles called Hotel California and they were fantastic!
All in all, it was a good weekend.
Thanks Linds

1 comment:

Just Jess for now said...

Damn, that was fun!