Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Worth Writing About

I hadn't meant to have such a long absence. Honestly, there have been things to write about, like Kim and I going to my Dad's classrooms and introducing Nala and Kayla to the kids during National Service dog week...and our adventure to Walmart where there was a Leader Dogs booth set up and I got to snuggle my favourite German Shepherd puppy in training. (Notice I said "favourite German Shepherd puppy" because I have a lot of favourite puppies). But, every time I go to write, I'm often too exhausted from our outings and then I never get around to it.
However, I do have to write about this.
I have finally managed to get in touch with Nala's puppy raisers (or puppy walkers if you live in the UK). Over the last year, I have tried, but my communications just never went through. Once we moved, I sort of stopped trying, but after going to the prison and interacting with the puppy raisers there, hearing Patti's story about her most recent Leader Dog graduate Dutch  and spending so much time with Kim, I knew I had to get a hold of them. So, I emailed Nala's school and asked the administrator there to please pass on my email address to Nala's puppy walkers. That way, the ball was in their court-just in case they didn't want to talk to me.
I waited and hoped that I would hear from them and today we exchanged our first emails.
I am so, so, so thrilled.
Nala has had such a profound impact on my life that I think it is so important for her "Before Me" family to know what a fantastic job they did; especially since, I think, Nala was their first puppy.
Her "Before Me" mom didn't write much as it's late in the UK, but one statement stuck with me: she said that Nala was always a "Grand Lassie" and nothing could be more true.
I can't wait to learn all about my Grand Lassie's puppyhood and the amazing people who welcomed her into their home for a year, then gave her up so that she could be my Grand Lassie.
It's feeding time here for our furry bunch, but that was definitely worth writing about.
PS: Guess what? She ate the kids' socks too. Looks like ours weren't the only ones that passed the Nala taste test. LOL

6 comments:

pattib said...

How cool is that?! Nicely done, Jess. What a grand lassie - love it!

Kim C said...

Nala truly is a Grand Lassie! That is when she's not being a tart! Poor Sammy and Dummond!!

L^2 said...

Aw, that's great! I'm very glad you were finally able to get in touch with them.

Heather said...

Hi there! My name is Heather and I was hoping you could answer my question I have about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

Lucy Costley said...

Hi my mum and I puppy walked Nala. She's "oor baby" we are so glad to finally be on contact with you and off course Nala. X

Nicky said...

Oh yes, Ralph my previous dog use to try and eat socks. We nearly had one or two disasters in that area as he did manage to swallow one twice and I had to have him taken to the vet. He did manage to be sick and get rid of it though thankfully. Hope all is good with you and Mr. K.