Saturday, September 08, 2012

A Visiter

Thursday turned out to be a   really nice day, here in the capital of Scotland. I was a bit skeptical in the morning as it was quite chilly and the wind was blowing quite hard, but thankfully, the sun decided to make an appearance and it didn't start raining until our visiter had gone home.
When I heard a knock on my door just past ten AM Thursday morning, I happily ran to it and flung it wide.
"A boy!" I said excitedly as I squatted to put my arms around a very big, Yellow Fellow.
"And a girl!" I said just as excitedly as I hugged L.
If you haven't already guessed, L had brought Glacier to visit for the day. The best part was that in greeting, Glacier ran down the hallway picked up a toy and began prancing about with it; typical Glacier. When I released Roscoe from the living room, the two dogs went crazy, hopping around and trying to frolic in a very small space. Hermione was excited too, but I think it's just because everyone else was excited. I think she remembers Glacier, but she has always been more strongly bonded to Roscoe.
Realising that the dogs definitely were not going to calm down any time soon, L and I took all three across to the cycling path and released the two big boys. Glacier and Roscoe made quick business of "doing their business" and then took off like shots, running along together like they always did. It was so good to see both dogs enjoying being together and also seeing Glacier react to L when she called him back or asked him to sit. He really seems to have bonded to L and her boyfriend and that makes me so very happy.
Hermione wasn't left out of the mix either. Eventually, I decided to let her off leash and see how she did. She impressed me. I had put her cat collar on with the bell, the one that allows me to know where she is and what she's doing, and off she went. She stuck pretty close to L and I, only venturing out if she followed Roscoe. She even was quite good at stopping on the grassy shoulder with L and I to allow cyclists to go by. I don't think I'd free run her by myself because she is so small and it is difficult to know what she may or may not be getting into, but it is good to know that Hermione can free run if there is a set of working eyeballs around.
Back at the flat, with hanging tongues and muddy paws, everyone was toweled off and all three dogs took a nap. Glacier curled up on my feet just like he used to and it felt nice to have him there again. At first it made me a bit worried, but when we decided to go get some lunch for the humans, Glacier was quick to look for L to see what he should do. We took the dogs with us to the dog friendly cafe down the street and both of the big boys passed out immediately. Hermione had a pee accident, which was completely embarrassing, but I guess that is what I get for letting her drink her fill a short period of time before going into a public space. We won't do that again; totally my fault. Thankfully, the cafe staff weren't angry and just simply said,
"it happens and who could really get mad at that cute face?"
Hermione was good about letting us know she had to go again and I got her out in time and set her down, where she promptly "insta peed," as we call it. All of this time, Glacier slept curled up in a ball right beside L's chair. He even got up to watch for her when she got up to go use the bathroom. Part of me was sad that he didn't look for me that way anymore, but a larger part of me was so grateful that he had bonded with them so well and was a thriving, happy boy.
We spent the rest of the afternoon just chatting and had one more shorter off leash run after the dogs had their supper. Again, Hermione went along off leash and although she was a bit more adventurous, she still came back when I called her. Glacier and Roscoe were the tag team of the cycling path, greeting every person and dog that went by, backing each other up like old times.
It was a very worn out Glacier that accompanied L out to the bus stop at the end of the day. Roscoe and Hermione were equally as tired and slept for the rest of the evening. As I always say,
"a tired dog is a good dog."
This was the first time I had seen Glacier in a month. He's been in the area a few other times, but I opted not to see him in order to ensure his bond with his new people was forming. I thought that enough time had passed, and L and her boyfriend had done enough with him, that it would be okay for us to see each other. I had also left it up to them to bring him by when they felt he was ready. Judging by his reaction to me, Roscoe and then to L, despite us being here, I would say he was ready.
Roscoe was a bit out of sorts the next day. I think he was a bit confused as to why Glacier only stayed for a short time, but after a good working session with Mr. K he seems to be back to his regular self.
Hermione didn't seem any different, but again, I think that is because she was always more of Roscoe's little sister than anything.
As for Mr. G: he is a big, healthy boy who hasn't gained any weight. His coat is healthy and he is definitely happy. L tells me stories all of the time about the things they have all done together and I don't think Glacier could have gone to a better home. Just this week, Glacier's been to the beach at least four times, digging in a dirt pile at an archaeological dig, to visit us and, of course, to the pub multiple times. It was so good to see him  and strangely enough, the visit didn't make me miss him more. In fact, it did the opposite: seeing him so happy and responsive to L, who isn't even his primary caregiver, relieved a lot of stress for me. It reassured me that by re-homing Glacier, I did what was best for him, and at the end of the day, that is what is important for a dog who has given so much of themselves to a working partnership.

6 comments:

pattib said...

Yay! So heartwarming to know when you made the right decision and everything is working out.

Unknown said...

So glad you had such a lovely day with G and it sounds like everybody had fun. Have a lovely Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

Finn said...

What a wonderful visit! It must have been very nice to see Glacier again.

torie said...

I'm so glad to hear glacier is happy. It sounds like he let you know at the right that he needed to retire. He is probably having the time of his life now just being a pet and getting to do pet things. I'm sure you were filled with many different emotions.

Take care, xxx.

Nicky said...

Hi there, its been a long while since I have been able to catch up on your blog so sorry about that. I am thrawling through posts this afternoon to see what you all have been up too. :) My dog Ralph has just retired and hearing you talk about Mr. G like that made me totally identify with how you described hearing the funny stories about him. Ralph has gone to live with friends of mine and I have now got a new Shepherd Retreiver called Orrin. I haven't gotten to see Ralph yet and won't do for a little while but I miss him still but love hearing how he is getting on. I think that hearing how he is settling has hugely helped me to accept that he is now retired and enjoying life.

Nicky said...

Hi there, its been a long while since I have been able to catch up on your blog so sorry about that. I am thrawling through posts this afternoon to see what you all have been up too. :) My dog Ralph has just retired and hearing you talk about Mr. G like that made me totally identify with how you described hearing the funny stories about him. Ralph has gone to live with friends of mine and I have now got a new Shepherd Retreiver called Orrin. I haven't gotten to see Ralph yet and won't do for a little while but I miss him still but love hearing how he is getting on. I think that hearing how he is settling has hugely helped me to accept that he is now retired and enjoying life.