Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Thank You :)

I just wanted to write a short, but very heart felt, thank you to everyone who left comments on yesterday's post and also on my previous posts. Ever since Blogger forced me to switch over, keeping up on comments and other people's blogs has been a huge pain in the butt. So, I just wanted you to know that your comments don't go unnoticed or unappreciated. You guys are great! *hug* :)
PS: Any comments on house training a five month old puppy? LOL Hermione's training is coming along in every way possible, but the little stinker seems to have relapsed in her house training. She went from four days of not going in the house, to refusing to go outdoors and going the instant she's back in; despite being leashed to me. The only thing I can think is slowing her progress down is that Mr. K and I can't always catch her to say no and take her instantly out. We often find messes just after she's gone as opposed to when she's going. Last night we managed to catch her, but she just wouldn't go outside when I took her out. This morning, I had a small victory when she refused to poop outside and tried to look for a spot inside, but I whisked her out and made her go for a small walk. She went wheere she should. Then, as if to counter that victory, she peed on the couch even though I had just taken her out and she was on leash. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are supposed to be easy to house train, but she is proving as difficult as a Dachshund. ;)

6 comments:

Dexter said...

Oh dear, it sounds like an impossible task since you cannot always catch her in the act. That said, my Dexter has always been a bit odd about doing his business in the yard and even though he was housebroken quickly, I still struggle after four years to get him to do his business when I really need him to (like before I go out or go to bed). The only thing I can think of is keeping her in her crate or tethered to you somehow.

I fear that even a well trained dog can decide that a certain area is a potty area. Dexter, at the age of 3 decided that the unused room upstairs was a convenient location and it wasn't until I discovered several piles of poop up there that I realized what he had been up to.

Mango Momma

The Ladies of Beaglebratz Manor said...

from the mom - just so you know, relapses are common and the good news is they don't usually last long. By the way, when you do get her out to go potty, do you praise her ALOT? You probably knew that but I have heard about it plus taking her to the same area all the time. Sometimes having a little fake fire hydrant or some kind of physical marker helps too.

Not sure any of that helps but it really sounds like you are doing everything right.
Kim

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Well my mom has a degree in Special Education and she always says that the only way you know that behavior modification is WORKING is when the "student's" UNwanted behavior INCREASES. Keep up the same thingys you are now doing... she has just hit.. that point. It will improve VERY quickly from this point on.

Unknown said...

Hi and poor you just keep it cool which is not easy and it will sort itself out eventually.
Best wishes Molly

pattib said...

Jess, you rock!

As for training Hermione, you are probably correct that it's difficult for you and Mr. K to "catch her in the act." You might try crating her for 15 minutes when you bring her in and she didn't go, then take her outside right away to try again. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection, if she is peeing more than usual, or is having trouble holding herself. Also, it is important to clean up with an enzyme cleaner that gets rid of the odor that you can't smell, but she can. Hope this helps!

Rama's Mama said...

I'm w/pattib on this one. If you take her out and she doesn't produce, crate her when she comes back inside and take her out again in a few minutes. If you cannot see her, and are not in the immediate area, she should not be allowed to roam. Take away the opportunity for her to eliminate in inappropriate places and she will get it. And SUPER CRAZY praise when she DOES go in the right spot. :-) She'll get it.