Friday, February 03, 2012

Fun Fact Friday: Love

It's been a while since we've had a Fun Fact Friday around here. I thought that it would be fitting to have today's reflect the Month of Love theme; especially since we are celebrating Valentine's Day to the Max. with our Blogville Valentine's Day PAWTY.

Fifteen Fun Facts: Love
1. Did you know that even though most animals are not interested in monogamous relationships, there are some who mate for life? The Canadian Goose or the Swan, for example, all keep the same partner throughout his/her lifetime. This is also true of some types of wolves.
2. There was a game my friends and I used to play when we were kids that determined how compatible you were with your love interest. You took the phrase "true love" and your first, middle and last name and your love interest's first, middle and last name. Then you went through the phrase "true love" to see how many letters from each name were in true love. You then added the letters up, added a zero and that is how many points you got with tha tperson. The higher the score, more likely you were destined to be together. Here's an example:
Christena Nicole Hodges
Michael Clancy Smith
T = 2
R = 1
U = 0
E = 3
L = 3
O = 2
V = 0
E = 3
This matching gets 140 points.
3. One year, while in university, I decorated the house I was sharing with Tenie and Carmen. I also made little Valentine's for the girls and for the dogs we knew. When the girls woke up they were touched, but pointed out that I had stuck a black heart over Heath Ledger's face...woops.
4. An estimated 198 million roses were made for Valentine's Day in 2010 in the United States.
5. Apparently, women prefer to get gifts in the evening, after a nice meal, whereas men prefer to receive gifts in the morning.
6. Most of the roses sold on Valentine's Day are red.
7. Approximately 141 million cards are sold globally on Valentine's Day.
8. In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew a name from a bowl to see who his/her Valentine would be. They would wear that name on his/her sleeve for a week.
9. Parents receive 1 in every 5 Valentine's.
10. Verona, the Italian city where Romeo and Juliette was set, receives about a thousand letters, addressed to Juliette, a year on Valentine's Day.
11. I have read that about 3 percent of pet owners will get something for his/her pet on Valentine's Day. I think this number must be wrong-it must be higher, right?
12. Next to Christmas, Valentine's Day sells the most cards.
13. If you see a squirrel on Valentine's Day, it is thought that you will marry a cheap skate who will horde all of your money. (You hear that doggies? Chase those squirrels off on Feb. 14).
14. It is said that if you cut an apple in half, the number of seeds inside will predict the number of children you will have.
and
15. Getting a kiss first thing, Valentine's morning, is considered good luck.

7 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I gotta try that name and number thingy with my Wives Names...

The Daily Pip said...

These are all fun. I have also read that coyotes also mate with the same partner and I think ducks, too?

Your pal, Pip

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

I never knew any of that stuff. Guess they keep us weenies from finding out. Someone better give teenie weenie me a big smooch first thing on Valentine's Day Morning.

:o)

Finn said...

It's true, I prefer a nice dinner and a gift as a lady!

Dachshund Nola said...

Great facts! I love the name/number thing!
Dachshund Nola

3 doxies said...

OMD...dat be kinda morbid bouts Heath Ledger but heres I is laughing...I must has a warped sense of humour...bwhahaha...ahem, okays...I nevers knew dat stuff eithers. My mum and dad don't do NUTTIN' fur V day.

Puddles

Becky Andrews said...

Love fun facts :) - hmmm, I do think I like my gift earlier in the day however!