Friday, November 25, 2011

A Time to Laugh

Wednesday Carmen, Glacier and I hopped a bus and headed out to a shopping centre to try to get some Christmas shopping done. It was a blustery day, but the three of us didn't really mind, being able to find shelter in the different stores. Upon arriving, we stopped in at Starbucks for coffee and a sandwich; sustenance is important to maintain perfect shopping form. We then tackled a few different stores, looking for winter boots for Carmen and gifts for her family.
We spent quite a bit of time in Hobby Craft just browsing the different aisles. I looked at the soap making supplies and was not happy with their selection, but was very interested by the mosaic tiles and supplies they carried. Mosaics have always interested me, probably for a couple of reasons, but it is something I just haven't done yet. It may be a new project for the new year though. Carmen made her purchases and we were off to Boots in search of perfume prices, hair ties, body wash and other essentials.
The first thing we went to look for was the perfume I have fallen in love with. Of course I forget who it's by, but it's called Midnight Rose and it is such a lovely scent. Usually I am not a big fan of things that claim to smell like roses, but this fragrance actually really has no hint of roses. We found the section and Carmen quickly spotted the perfume. We went back to  it and she was examining the bottle and the other products surrounding it. Me, being the assuming blind person, figured we were in a perfume section and that I should smell other scents. So, I plucked one glass bottle off the shelf, unscrewed the lid and sniffed. It stank. Not deterred, I replaced the lid and the bottle and moved on to the bottle next to it. I again, unscrewed the lid and sniffed; simply stinky. At the moment Carmen started speaking, I realised my mistake:
"Jess? You  know you are sniffing foundation right?"
All we could do was laugh: a perfect Blind moment if there ever was one.
"I was just making sure  you were  paying attention." I told Carmen between fits of laughter.
That night when I relayed the story to Mr. K and Tenie, I could hardly get the happenings out because I was laughing so hard. They both laughed and Mr. K shook his head saying,
"only my wife," in his tone that means he thinks I'm a nut, but that he loves all of my antics anyway.
I've had "blind moments" before and they are all experiences I recall with a grin plastered to my face: I am sure this one will be no different.
So, to all you blind folk out there, or sighted folk too I suppose, when out Christmas shopping for perfume, please make sure you are sniffing perfume and not make-up!

2 comments:

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Just played catch up after our busy American Thanksgiving.

Too funny about the make up perfume mix up. BOL. My Human is allergic to perfumes and after shave. She can't even smell the flowers; I do that for her. Yep, your right, Papa can't wear after shave either.

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Jen said...

Haha brilliant!