TGIF everybody! I thought today we could learn a little more about Balloo since he was the second Miniature Dachshund we brought into our home.
Fifteen Fun Facts About Balloo
1. Technically speaking, Balloo is called a Black and Tan Piebald, but in reality there is not a spot of tan on him. He has the coolest black and white markings, but according to Dachshund standards, he is not ideal for showing or breeding because they typically don't like the unique markings.
2. Balloo was born August 22, 2010 and we brought him home in November of 2010 when he was about twelve weeks old.
3. Balloo's favourite pass time is sleeping. He will have little ten minute bursts where he races around like a crazy man, but then he jumps up in my lap and passes right out.
4. Speaking of sleeping...you can do pretty much anything to Balloo when he is asleep. He sleeps like the dead. I take this opportunity to trim his claws because he doesn't fight me at all.
5. Balloo is a burrower. He usually sleep sunder the covers at night. He may get hot and come out for a while, but you can be sure that in no time at all you will feel a little nose rooting under the edge of the blankets looking for an entrance.
6. One of Balloo's nicknames is "The Kissy Monster." He loves to give kisses and if you get him really excited he will kiss you so much and so fast that you can hardly catch your breath. The harder you laugh, the faster he kisses.
7. Balloo is uncommonly quiet for a Dachshund. Usually Dachshunds have big barks for such little bodies and aren't afraid to use them, but not Balloo. Two days ago he actually barked and Mr. K and I were shocked. We're not complaining about his lack of barking though. Aria and Doc make up for it.
8. Just like his big sister Aria, Balloo prefers the big dogs' toys to the little ones. He drags the two to three pound elk antler we have around like it is a fluffy, light pillow. When he gets it to where he wants it, he settles in for a good chewing session. I just can't believe he can fit his mouth around it enough to chew.
9. Balloo is a Mama's boy. He follows me everywhere and gets very upset if I leave him. The funny thing is that we got him as Mr. K's dog because Aria was supposed to be my little girl and now I can't even go pee without Balloo busting in on me.
10. Balloo is a grunter. He will snuff and grunt when he is trying to find a "comfy" position and once he's situated he lets out the biggest snuff/sigh I have ever heard come out of a nine pound dog.
11. Balloo is a short haired-or smooth coat-Dachshund. This means he gets cold much easier than Aria and Doc. That may be why he is always under the covers. Mr. K and I bought him a little plaid coat for our upcoming trip.
12. Balloo is a shy boy until he gets to know you. If someone comes to visit, he gets all excited, but comes to see me and bestows his "welcome" kisses on me instead of the new arrival. Once he gets to know you, he will be your best friend. He's not aggressive, or stand offish, he just needs to come to you on his own terms.
13. Remember last week how I told you that Aria has two speeds; fast and faster? Balloo has two as well. Faster or sleeping. He runs everywhere and is quite quick. I think Aria may be a bit faster, but they both can keep up with Roscoe or Glacier if they are jogging.
14. Neither of our Retrievers will retrieve in our house, but Balloo loves fetch. We used to play it all of the time before Doc came to live with us. Now that there are three dogs though, if I throw something they would rather chase each other instead of bringing the toy back. That said, get Balloo alone and he will fetch.
15. Balloo also comes with a plethora of nicknames, some of which are:
-Balloo Bear (of course),
-Squirt (because he does the submissive squirt thing when Mr. K makes him nervous),
-Chompers (he has a nice set of teeth on him and he "chomps" when he eats anything),
-Nom Nom (because he goes "nom nom" when he is eating or trying to lick your face),
-Balloo Clancy (he inherited his Dad's middle name)...the list could go on and on.
So there you have it: a small introduction to the wonder that is Mr. Balloo.