Thursday, February 03, 2011

Pup Sitters R' Us

Another weekend approaches and with it another visiting puppy dog. This time it is not a PAALS pup though.
One of my friends is going out of town for her cousin's wedding and asked Mr. K and I if we would watch her nine month old Bull Mastiff Isis. Of course I said yes, but I ran it by Mr. K and he agreed. She is a big girl, weighing close to seventy pounds, and is brindle. She is very sweet, but definitely is full of puppy. It's hard to remember a dog that big is still a baby. But she is a fairly well behaved dog and gets along well with our beasts. In fact, Aria bosses her around and Balloo thinks he should "court" her. He makes "love" eyes at her and follows her around. :)
The only thing I am worried about is that my friends let her sleep in bed with them and that is definitely not happening here. We don't let Glacier and Roscoe sleep in our bed because they are big boys and they are working dogs. Aria, and recently Balloo, are allowed the comfort of Mom and Dad's bed, but they don't weigh any more than 15 pounds combined. Isis is not crate trained even though I adamantly told them it would be a good idea to teach her that crates are her friend. It would have come in handy in a situation like this.
Other than the sleeping arrangements, I am looking forward to having Isis here. She is a good playmate for our fuzzies and I figure she could take part in our obedience training. Which, by the way, is going very interestingly. Balloo won't "down" unless I lay down and hide my face. But hey. It's a start right? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness a mastiff that sleeps in the bed? Do your friends know how big that dog will be when she's full grown? Between 150-200 pounds! I don't even let our little ones sleep in the bed, much less our 90 lb boxer boy. I need my space because I have to move around a lot during the night to alleviate pain and take pressure off various joints. Mastiffs are great dogs but not sleeping companions! LOL

3 doxies said...

Heeeeeeellos, It's me Puddles! Sorry, it has taken me so long to come by (it's mum's fault totally).
All I can say is good luck to Isis and ya'll...hehehehe! I is crate trained but my brudder sleeps in da bed with mum and dad...he ain't crate trained.
Oh and since I IS crate trasined I can say crates ARE NOT your furiend...hehehehehe...bwhahahahaha...but they is important to get used to.

Puddles
PS: can't wait to see how dis goes

Just Jess for now said...

I know! I agree whole heartedly. I crate trained her last night and that is where she slept. lol I thought it would take her longer than one session to get her to sleep in there, but she liked it and didn't make a peep all night. She started the night inour room crying because she wanted in the bed and that wasn't working for us. So I tried the crate and thankfully it worked. :)

Just Jess for now said...

Puddles:
Aria here. I hate the cwate, but I learned to wive with it if Mom and Dad weave the house. Bawwoo doesn't mind it though.
Thanks for stopping by. I wove visitors probably more than I wove Google. :)